From: Todd Bartrim <bartrim@gmail.com>
Subject: Re: [FlyRotary] Re: Windmilling ... was EAA 782 meeting
Date: Thu, 30 Nov 2006 12:41:46 -0800
To: Rotary motors in aircraft <flyrotary@lancaironline.net>
I have a 2.17 redrive and I've had the prop windmill on some occasions. During my initial testing I had a few unintentional engine outs as well as a several intentional engine outs (while circling high above the airport, testing mutiple tank switching, etc.) The prop would windmill maybe about 50% of the time with no obvious reasons as to why it would sometimes and not on others. When it was windmilling, it was easy to stop by increasing AOA momentarily.
Todd

On 11/30/06, Jeff Whaley <jwhaley@intldata.ca> wrote:

Thanks Rusty and Finn, glad to hear that they don't tend to windmill … I have the 2.85 drive.

Can't say I understand why they don't, as the relative force to turn over the Rotary is significantly less than a Lycoming or any other auto conversion.

The Lycoming won't windmill either, but they can be air-started in a dive.

Jeff (hoping to never experience either)