From: David Leonard <wdleonard@gmail.com>
Subject: Re: [FlyRotary] Re: Prop windmilling
Date: Thu, 30 Nov 2006 10:09:02 -0800
To: Rotary motors in aircraft <flyrotary@lancaironline.net>

When I overheated my engine and it quit, there was very little compression left, though I didn't know it at the time.  I must admit that I even wasted some time trying to get it to stop windmilling.  I slowed the RV-6 down to near stall speed but the prop just kept windmilling.

During my flight test period I did some testing with the ignition off.  Windmilling would stop somewhere around 90 kts and start again somewhere around 100 kts.  Very easy to air start.

I am sure that the low compression accounted for the difference... something to think about when calculating glide distances.

--
David Leonard

Turbo Rotary RV-6 N4VY
2.17:1  PSRU