From: Ed Anderson <eanderson@carolina.rr.com>
Subject: Re: [FlyRotary] Z-19 questions
Date: Fri, 24 Nov 2006 09:19:03 -0500
To: Rotary motors in aircraft <flyrotary@lancaironline.net>
Bill, not up on the Z-19 guidelines (its been over 8 years {:>)), but here is what I would do with double battery set up.

I would have it set up so that each injector pair and one coil run off of one battery connection, and the other set run off of the secondary battery connection.  Ditto for the fuel pumps.  In my case, I have it set up so either or both batteries can connect to my crucial systems bus through a 40 amp circuit breaker.  Then all my crucial systems are connected to that bus. If a battery should go bad, I can disconnect it from the crucial bus by pulling the CB.  That way you can run on one battery or two batteries.

I initially used two batteries - for about 5 years, then decided that the second battery was not needed as I only used it to help start on cold mornings.  So I dropped from 44 lbs of batter to 14 lbs - less to haul around.  I do have a voltmeter which I constantly scan as well as an "Abnormal" voltage indicator right in front of my face on the instrument panel.  I replace the Odyssey battery every two years and keep it on trickle charge with occasional "De-sulfication" through voltage pulses to keep the "plates" clean of sulfate.

Don't know if this is of any help but that's what I did.

Ed

Ed Anderson
Rv-6A N494BW Rotary Powered
Matthews, NC