From: Marvin Kaye <marv@lancaironline.net>
Subject: Re: [FlyRotary] Z-19 questions
Date: Fri, 24 Nov 2006 09:22:56 -0500
To: Rotary motors in aircraft <flyrotary@lancaironline.net>
Hi Bill,

I'm assuming you are trying to deal with single-point failure modes... Considering each circuit you named, you've already got your redundancy with the coils, just wire each coil to its own breaker.  Loss of a single coil should still allow the engine to keep running, albeit at a slightly reduced power level.  As for the pumps, most of them allow flow through, so put a pair of them in-line and power each separately.  This keeps you from having to over-complicate the fuel path with check valves and selectors, while giving you the electrical redundancy you seek. As for the injectors, unless you install a second set on your intake and make them switchable for their driver input, you're probably stuck with a single point issue there.

  <Marv>

Bill Bradburry <bbradburry@allvantage.com> wrote:

 OK, This is my fall back position.  I have posed this question on the
Aerolectric list for a couple of days and no answer. (although the email did
get caught up in an embarrasing event!)  90% of you guys have already wired
your planes and followed Bob N's advice, so how did you do the redundancy on
the fuel pumps, coils, and injectors?

 from the AE list:

   "I am installing a fuel injected Mazda rotary engine and trying to follow
the Z-19 guidelines for dual battery, single alternator.  Looking at the
engine primary and secondary circuit, I need to install a primary and
secondary fuel pump, plus I want to power the coils and the injectors
    off of the battery buss.
    How should I do this?  I suppose I could take the fuel pump diode output
and switch it to either of the two fuel pumps???
    What about the coils and injectors?  Should I set up similar circuits
    for them, or is there a better way to reduce parts???
    I would appreciate any guidance you guys could give me.
    Thanks and Happy Thanksgiving!
    Bill B

 --
 Homepage:  http://www.flyrotary.com/