From: Ed Anderson <eanderson@carolina.rr.com>
Subject: Re: [FlyRotary] Re: Mounting? Was Re: [FlyRotary] Re: alternator choice?
Date: Wed, 1 Oct 2003 21:42:34 -0400
To: Rotary motors in aircraft <flyrotary@lancaironline.net>

----- Original Message -----
From: "Mark Steitle" <msteitle@mail.utexas.edu>
To: "Rotary motors in aircraft" <flyrotary@lancaironline.net>
Sent: Wednesday, October 01, 2003 8:01 PM
Subject: [FlyRotary] Re: Mounting? Was Re: [FlyRotary] Re: alternator
choice?

> >Ed,
> >As I recall, they had two different styles available.  One would bolt
> >right onto the Mazda water pump housing, the other would require
> >fabrication of a bracket.  The one I got is made like the Mazda unit,
i.e.
> >two ears, fore and aft.  It required no modifications to attach in the
> >factory location.  Note that the picture I enclosed in my first posting
> >was of a similar unit as mine.  Upon close examination, I see that it has
> >a bracket bolted to the case.  My alternator has/needs no bracket, the
> >mounting ears are part of the casting.  -- Mark
>

> >Mark, does this alternator fit the stock alternator mounts?  Did you need
> >fabricate any special brackets?
> >
> >Ed Anderson
> >RV-6A N494BW Rotary Powered
> >Matthews, NC
> >eanderson@carolina.rr.com

Ok, thanks, Mark

    I am trying to reduce the weight of my overly heavy RV-6A and the
alternator is one of the things on my list to replace.  So far I have
reduced the weight of the aircraft by 27 lbs and my self by 25 lbs, so need
to work a bit more on both.

Ed Anderson
RV-6A N494BW Rotary Powered
Matthews, NC