From: Russell Duffy <russell.duffy@gmail.com>
Subject: XR-40
Date: Wed, 13 Sep 2006 09:48:53 -0500
To: Flyrotary List <flyrotary@lancaironline.net>
Message
Greetings,

Has anyone looked at the XR-40 engine that the Phantom guys are testing?  http://www.rotary-xr40.com/   As I understand it, these are go kart engines that normally run up to 10,000 rpm, and make about 52 HP.  For aircraft use, they are derating them to 40 HP at 7600 rpm.

I'm not in the market for this, but I noticed in the FAQ that they don't have a pressure feed oil system.  Instead, they use roller bearings, and 50:1 pre-mix.  That would sure save some weight, and complexity.  Has that ever been done on other rotary engines?

Cheers,
Rusty