From: Ed Anderson <eanderson@carolina.rr.com>
Subject: Re: [FlyRotary] Re: Exhaust systems (ceramic shield/manifold issues)
Date: Sun, 27 Aug 2006 09:57:00 -0400
To: Rotary motors in aircraft <flyrotary@lancaironline.net>

----- Original Message ----- From: "Charlie England" <ceengland@bellsouth.net>
To: "Rotary motors in aircraft" <flyrotary@lancaironline.net>
Sent: Sunday, August 27, 2006 9:52 AM

Bulent Aliev wrote:

There was a guy that build a heat wrap from the same material, but he also used material like patio screening to help it hold together. His under cowling temps dropped some fantastic amount. He did it on a Lycoming but it was over 10 years ago and that's all I remember.
Buly
All finished, and nobody to check me out in my plane....:(

For just a shield, if simple stainless/AL radiant barrier is inadequate, what about Fiberfax (sp?) used by some as a heat barrier on firewalls?

Charlie

Hi Charlie,

I tried Fiberfax and while it shielded just fine, it easily absorbed oil, grease, etc.  I had it protecting the bottom of my cowl and I finally decided that it presented a fire hazard and removed it.  Just my experience for what its worth.

Ed

Ed Anderson
Rv-6A N494BW Rotary Powered
Matthews, NC