From: Bulent Aliev <atlasyts@bellsouth.net>
Subject: Re: [FlyRotary] Re: First flight - Oil temp
Date: Sun, 6 Aug 2006 23:47:59 -0400
To: Rotary motors in aircraft <flyrotary@lancaironline.net>

David, I don't have the measurements with me, but I can get them in the morning. About temporary adhesive, If it was me I would use mechanical fasteners, rivets with washer back ups etc. Would not count on any glue or silicone. If this piece comes loose, in a pusher will go in the prop. Silicone may leave residue that will make it hard to remove for later painting? Just rivet the sucker and put some 5 min epoxy-micro filler in the gaps. (I'm thinking glass aircraft here). Holes are very eazy to fill later.

On Aug 6, 2006, at 11:33 PM, David Carter wrote:

I agree with Bulent about bottom scoop needing to hang down more (think P-51) and  Bob White & Richard (refine the exit "profile").  Make your underwing inlet hang down 4-5 inches, at least.

Bulent, how far below your fuselage is the lower edge of your inlet (lower face of bottom of inlet, i.e., inside face, not lower outside contour)  I looks like top inner face of your inlet is 3 inches below fuselage and another 7 inches down to the lower inner face.

If RTV adhesive works, that would be fine.  If more strength was needed (later on at higher speeds) could anyone recommend a glue for  "temporary scoops" that might be stronger but soften for removal/modification with hair dryer heat, e.g., 130 degrees, just below the 140 deg or whatever that the fiberglass structure of the wing would be affected?

David Carter