From: <peon@pacific.net.au>
Sender: Marvin Kaye <marv@lancaironline.net>
Subject: Re: [FlyRotary] Re: Scientific Inference, Testing & AutoSpeed Test was EWP pumping, pumping...... still pumping
Date: Sun, 20 Oct 2002 14:03:27 -0400
To: <flyrotary>
On 19 Oct 2002, at 23:32, Haywire wrote:

SNIP>>

 A bit
> more alarming is this: >
> http://www.autospeed.co.nz/A_0569/page1.html?src=suggestions > I
> wonder if they would share results under a NDA? >
>
> Yes, I must agree, I find this very alarming. I wonder what the test
> results were.
>
> S. Todd Bartrim
> Turbo 13B rotary powered
> RV-9endurance (FWF)
> C-FSTB
> http://www3.telus.net/haywire/RV-9/C-FSTB.htm

Hi Guys,

Me (agian!!).  Re the Autospeed test,  from what I have heard,
(Admittedly from Richard Davies of Davies Craig), their scientific
methodology, shall we say,  left a LOT to be desired.  If your
radiator happens to be partially clogged,  and undersized to start
with,  no test will be meaningful.  I don't know for fact that this was
the case,  but it has the ring of truth to it.

So I hope  you guys can wait until I get back in harness,  I will then
be able to answer ALL your questions.  I will publish my test
procedures and methodology well before I do the actual tests.  In
the best traditions of Karl Popper,  See;

http://plato.stanford.edu/entries/popper/

I will endeavour to structure and conduct the tests in such a
manner that they can be repeated elsewhere at any time.  Back to
back tests on the same car,  on the same dyno,  on the same day,
and within an hour of each other.  (To allow cooldown so that I don't
scald myself).

I will take the scientifically correct procedure and try to prove
myself wrong.  (A reading of Popper's "The Logic of Scientific
Discovery" is almost mandatory for anyone doing rigorous testing).

So guys,  keep on theorising,  and doing those endless
calculations until I get the hard experimental facts for you.

I doubt if there is ANYONE out there who can tell me just how
much a stock Mazda ware pump flows at what RPM and at what
thermostat opening/temperatures,  and how many BHP it
consumes when doing it.

Unless you can,  you are wasting your time doing all these
meaningless calculations.  But I tell you what,  in about 6 weeks,
I'll KNOW beyond all reasonable doubt.

See,  I really don't want to be selling them if they don't work as
advertised,  but I also want to be able to take gainsayers and
theoreticians to task if they DO happen to work as advertised.

Moreover,  I will NOT be trying to prove myself right.  I do know
from anecdotal evidence that the EWP does work as advertised.
However,  until I do the testing,  I can't back it up with repeatable
test data.

None of this car testing will, of course, PROVE (as someone
rightly pointed out)  that they will also work in an aircraft. For that
we need one to be fitted to an aircraft.  (My offer of stumping up
over 50% of the cost for a test unit still stands!!).

But the car testing  WILL demonstrate one way or another that the
EWP either works as advertised or it doesn't,  which is the issue.  I
really don't care either way.

If it does work,  I'll continue to pomote and sell them.  If it doesn't,
I shall NOT be selling them and I shall have to eat humble pie,
recant on this and "the Other Place" as well as give Todd his
money back and a 2 week free holiday in Sydney!  In the process,
we will all learn a lot!

Cheers people,  bye for now,

Best wishes & Kindest Regards,

Leon Pomet