From: <peon@pacific.net.au>
Sender: Marvin Kaye <marv@lancaironline.net>
Subject: Re: [FlyRotary] Aircraft Use and Mounting Position was Re: EWP adapter pics
Date: Fri, 18 Oct 2002 19:00:57 -0400
To: <flyrotary>
Howdy Todd,

On 18 Oct 2002, at 7:49, Haywire wrote:

SNIP>>

>  Thanks Leon. I was thinking of sending a pic to Davies, Craig for
>  their
> comments. I'm kinda curious about their attitude toward aircraft use.
> Not that I doubt that they would be confident about it's ability, but
> more so due to liability concerns. After all I bought a fuel pump from
> Aircraft Spruce that was labelled "not for aircraft use".

Todd,  with experimental aircraft, we take the risk if we use a part
that is not certified for aircraft use.  We need to understand that
there are no performance guarantees in these things, and we,  as
experimenters,  are doing experiments.  By their very nature,  they
are not CERTIFIED.

By the same token,  Mazda engines aen't certified for aircraft use
either and I think anyone trying to sue Mazda would fail at law.  I'd
say that Davies Craig don't care what you do with their pumps,  as
long as you don't tell them!

I know my mate Domenic at MicroTech won't countenance the use
of his engine management systems in aircraft if you tell him that's
what it's for..  But Dave Atkins still buys them and sells them,  and
I'll be using a pair on the Velocity engine installation. (I like the idea
of redundancy,  and 2 MicroTechs are cheaper than one Motec or
Autronic!!)  But that will be all at my risk,  not Dom's.

SNIP>>

> > I'm making my adaptor in a slightly different way   I'm using a
> > piece of 12 mm h/T alloy plate and a couple of mandrel bends to get
> > both the hoses pointing over to the right hand side of the car.
>
>  I'd be interested in seeing a pic when you're done. I'm seriously
> considering Perry's idea of mounting the pump directly to the adapter.

##
Different strokes for different blokes.  I need to make it fit in a stock
RX7,  but mounting it HIGH on the engine is a NO -NO!!!.

##
 WARNING:

The pump MUST be mounted as LOW in the cooling system as
practical (as per instructions!!).  IF you happen to lose some water
for some reason,  then if you mount it high on the engine,    when
the water level drops below the pump impellor,  it will not be primed
and will cavitate and therefore fail to circulate water.

##
ALL Centrifugal pumps of ANY type,  INCLUDING the stock Mazda
one,  will NOT pump water if the impellor is not covered with water.

I have had clients cook their engines with half a rad full of water due
to the position of the stock Mazda pump high on the engine. In
particular,  this has happened on two occasions in sports sedans
where the rad is at an acute angle,  and the top of the rad lower
than the pump inlet.

##
This is one of the other advantages of the EWP.  If the pump is
mounted low,  (an option not available with the stock Mazda unit -
except of course if the engine is mounted "Plugs Up")  it will
continue to pump water until there is none left in the system.
Centrifugal devices are PUSHERS, not SUCKERS!!

##
So the EWP MUST be mounted at the lowest point in the system
for it to work as advertised.

##
So don't mount it up high near the top of the engine!!

Cheers Mate!

Leon