From: Bill Dube <william.p.dube@noaa.gov>
Subject: Six port bolt-on manfold progress (was: RX-8)
Date: Tue, 07 Feb 2006 18:49:57 -0700
To: Rotary motors in aircraft <flyrotary@lancaironline.net>
The six port will supposedly make 248 HP 100% stock. This is at about
9000 RPM, however. The four port does not make as much HP stock.

I am working on a carbon fiber composite manifold for the 6 port that
(hopefully) will emulate the stock manifold with all the valves open.
CNC machining of the molds will commence the beginning of March. We CNC
machined a foam test mold a few months ago. We did a test layup of the
carbon fiber about a month ago.

Attached is a picture of the CAD rendition of the six-port manifold. As
you can see, it will use the stock throttle body, stock injectors, stock
injector rails, and will be 100% bolt-on. Should weigh about 3 pounds.
(Stock manifold weighs 22 pounds.)  High temperature epoxy will easily
withstand 300 F. Back-of-the envelope calculation says the burst presure
on the carbon fiber tubes should be well over 10,000 psi.

    The goal is to make a lightweight manifold that will hug the top of
the engine and will simply bolt on.

    It is going slower than I would like, but I am working on it in my
spare time and trying to keep the costs down.

    Bill Dube'

randy echtinaw wrote:

Gentlemen,
   I have the opportunity to purchase a 4 port or a 6 port RX-8  engine. I thought I wanted a 4 port because I thought it would be  easier to muffel. I just heard a "rumor" that the 4 port is junk and  go with the 6 port. I need 220-230 hp using the 2.85 PSRU, no turbo.  I would consider P-porting if absolutely necessary to get the HP.  Obviously, I know very little about engines and want to start with  the best I can get so, considering my needs which one do I want?
Thank you,
Randy

-- Homepage:  http://www.flyrotary.com/
Archive and UnSub:   http://mail.lancaironline.net/lists/flyrotary/