From: Bill Dube <william.p.dube@noaa.gov>
Subject: Re: [FlyRotary] Why?? Re: [FlyRotary] RX-8
Date: Tue, 07 Feb 2006 18:34:26 -0700
To: Rotary motors in aircraft <flyrotary@lancaironline.net>
Here is what I posted to the other list:

> I bought one of Rupert's RX-8 engines (6-port) on Ebay about 6  months
> ago. At the time, the US dollar was a bit stronger, so the price  was
> $1800 USD. Now it is closer to $1900 USD.
>
> My engine arrived exactly as pictured. Complete with engine  harness,
> injectors, fuel rails, intake manifold, throttle body,  alternator, and
> sensors. Oil cooler lines are present, but bent close to the  engine  > for
> shipping.
>
> It arrived nicely padded and strapped on a pallet about 2  months  > after I
> bought it. Shipping was about $300 to Denver. Paperwork fees  were  > about
> $200.
>
> I have not run the engine yet, but it seems just fine from what  I can
> tell by inspection. I put a borescope in the ports. The rotors,  seals,
> and walls look fine. No scoring or hot spots were apparent.  Seems to
> have great compression turning by hand. I would take a very  rough  > guess
> at 20,000 miles, judging from the minor carbon on the rotor  faces and
> exhaust ports.
>
> These engines have never been in a car. They were used by Mazda  for  > some
> sort of dyno testing. I suspect emissions testing, but that is  just a
> wild guess. The clutch and pressure plate on mine had zero wear.
>
> I considered this engine from Rupert a super good deal. When I   > bought it
> for such a low price, I knew that I would still be way ahead  even if I
> had to rebuild it. The fact that it is in such good condition  that I
> won't likely have to do anything internally was a bonus, from my
> perspective.
>
> Rupert is a good guy to deal with. Very helpful and a square  dealer.
>
> Bill Dube'

Ed Anderson wrote:

That's certainly interesting, Randy,  in that the 6 port and 4 port Rx-8 engine both use identical internal parts.  True the induction system and port openings on the castings is different due to the number of ports - similar to the difference between the  older 13B six port and 4 port turbo engines.

While the 6 port will reportedly produce higher HP, its only when you get up into the 8500+ rpm range that is true.  Then the better high rpm breathing of the 6 port induction system gives it an edge in producing power. However, I know of no one who has exceeded 7500 rpm in aircraft application at this point.  Tracy Crook as probably a couple hundred hours on a  4 port .  I believe his conclusion was that the complexity of the six port intake Vs its potential adaptation for aircraft use made the 4 port preferable.

In any case, hard to understand why one engine would be junk when it shares the same design and parts as the other engine - sure would like to know some particulars about it.

Ed

----- Original Message ----- From: "randy echtinaw" <rjechtinaw@ia4u.net>