From: Mark R Steitle <mark.steitle@austin.utexas.edu>
Subject: RE: [FlyRotary] Re: Two Alternators?
Date: Tue, 24 Jan 2006 12:37:27 -0600
To: Rotary motors in aircraft <flyrotary@lancaironline.net>
Hi Doug,
I agree with your philosophy on flying with failed equipment.  In most
cases, I would head for the nearest airport.  But if something
insignificant, such as an instrument light burns out, you wouldn't
terminate the flight.  My electrical system is designed from the start
to operate normally on only one alternator.  With one adequately sized
alternator and two batteries, my system would be no different than Ed's,
except that I have an extra battery.  If the second alternator were to
fail, I would not fall out of the sky.  I would still have two healthy,
fully-charged batteries to power things for well over an hour, running
only flight critical items.  If/when the second alternator fails, that's
when I would head for the airport.

As a side note, I have all flight critical hardware on breakers, per
Ed's suggestion.

Mark S.