From: Scott <squiggles@yahoo.com>
Subject: Why rubber engine mounts?
Date: Sat, 7 Jan 2006 05:46:46 -0800 (PST)
To: <flyrotary@lancaironline.net>
Hello...

If our engines are smooth and the entire engine is
well balanced, why is it necessary to isolate the
engine from the engine mount/airframe?  Why isn't it
appropriate to simply place a square of an old auto
tire( or some similar material ) between the two
points where I bolt the engine to the engine mount?

What are we trying to protect the engine
mount/airframe from the engine?

I reached this point as I was diligently welding
tubing to a plate to make cups for the rubber mounts
which I purchased from Reid tool.  After completing
the two of the mount points I stopped and started
questioning, is this really overly complicating the
process, what am I really trying to protect the
airframe from.  Of course I identified a few, prop
strike, loss of a rotor, among other out of balance
scenarios.  But, as those would ideally be minority do
I need to over design for them?

Any thoughts, opinions, and comments are very much
welcomed...

Thank You...
-Scott

Reference: