From: Tracy Crook <lors01@msn.com>
Subject: Re: [FlyRotary] New "CATTO" prop
Date: Wed, 28 Dec 2005 12:08:50 -0500
To: Rotary motors in aircraft <flyrotary@lancaironline.net>
Hi Kelly,
John (Downing) pretty much summed up one reason (black art factor) why I picked Catto for the RV-8 .  The other reason was that Performance Props (who also makes wonderful props) did not have the ability to make props longer than 76 inches. I wanted 80.  It is a simple 2 blade prop with emphasis on keeping proper pitch distribution near the hub.  This is hard to do at high pitch angles (mine will be well over 100 inches).

In the real world, the pitch numbers we read on props are almost meaningless.   My plane would never get to its top speed of 225 mph if you simply do the math and calculate forward speed based on pitch & rpm.  The prop makers have learned over many years what the effective pitch of their props are and use this rather than the pitch based on angle of the airfoil.   That is why I don't have a lot of confidence in prop programs based only on the pitch angle.

Wendell, glad you made out OK in the fires!

Tracy  (plumbing RV-8 brakes)