From: Ernest Christley <echristley@nc.rr.com>
Sender: Marvin Kaye <marv@lancaironline.net>
Subject: Re: [FlyRotary] Re: EWP Tech Data Take 1,000,000 ...
Date: Fri, 18 Oct 2002 00:03:13 -0400
To: <flyrotary>
Perry Casson wrote:

I'd be happy to kick in 10% to get results sooner rather than later.  An
adapter plate like Todd's perhaps with the pump bolted directly to the
adapter plate would certainly clean up my plumbing issues.  Loose 6lbs and
gain 6hp, if the reliability is there I know I'll make the switch.

I'm not arguing about it working (I strongly believe it will work just dandy), but I would like to know about failure modes.

Do you get a redundant alternator? or a redundant water pump?

A mechanical water pump has a little wear hole that breaks through and start dripping coolant before the whole shebang goes belly-up.  An attentive preflight will catch water pooling under the cowl and point to the problem before the whole thing dies.  Graceful failure.

What I know of electric pumps is that they just quit working on day.