From: Marvin Kaye <marv@lancaironline.net>
Subject: Re: [FlyRotary]Re: Another Rotary AD
Date: Mon, 16 Sep 2002 18:33:59 -0400
To: <flyrotary>
Posted for "Tracy Crook" <lors01@msn.com>:

That is very interesting, Tracy.  I did the mod according to the guidance
in
your orginal conversion manuel and am using the Racing Beat pulley and
never
had a problem with it in my 86 NA.  I now use the thermal pellet

If you did it the way I showed in the book, you will not have the problem.
I showed a tubular spacer that allowed the thermal pellet piston to remain
in place.  The piston would put the bypass valve in the correct spot when
the oil warmed up even if the spacer was a bit short.  I also think I sized
the spacer for use with the Racing Beat pulley to begin with.  I think the
same is true of the Atkins part.

When using the method developed by Bruce (removing the piston and using a
solid spacer) spacer length becomes critical.  In Jerry Bass' engine, it
resulted in the bypass valve leaving about a 3/32 x 3/16" hole exposed in
the eshaft bypass opening.  That's a lot of oil at 30 - 70 psi!

Tracy Crook
tcrook@rotaryaviation.com
www.rotaryaviation.com