From: Mike Wills <willsm@spawar.navy.mil>
Sender: Marvin Kaye <marv@lancaironline.net>
Subject: Re: [FlyRotary] Re: EWP Tech Data Take 1,000,000 ...
Date: Thu, 17 Oct 2002 19:07:42 -0400
To: <flyrotary>
Hey Leon,

 This discussion just seems to go round and round with no end. I'm not one of those theoretical engineering types (but I do work with a bunch and I make them prove their theories everyday). You are willing to bet a holiday that you are correct. You're asking your potential customers to bet their lives. When you do your chassis dyno testing if the engine goes pop it makes a little mess. When I do my testing if the engine goes pop I end up dead in a wrecking yard (that's what is at the end of my runway). I know the stock pump will cool the engine and there are already enough other variables and potential pitfalls in the first flight of an auto conversion that I see no reason to add to the risk by trying something unproven. Particularly when there appears to be sound engineering reasons to indicate that it cant work.

 If you really want to prove your point, why not get together with someone who already has a proven functional cooling system with the stock Mazda pump in an aircraft and install the Davies Craig pump on that as a testbed? Ian Beadle lives down under; perhaps he'd be willing. Or perhaps Ed or Tracy would be willing. Perhaps this could be done similar to the great muffler test on Tracy's airplane with a bunch of us contributing $ to the cause. I know I'd be willing to contribute to such a test. But in my mind its only going to be conclusive if it flies on an airplane, not a dyno or a race car. And it would be more educational if tested on an existing platform to get conclusive before and after results.

 Who else is willing to put their $ where their mouth is? How about you Leon? Will you kick in 10% to prove your point? If you are correct you'll sell a bunch of these. Ten of us at $65AUD (what's that in US$?) should do it. Are any of you guys flying willing to provide your airplane as a testbed?

Mike Wills

At 10:03 PM 10/16/2002 -0400, you wrote:

Posted for peon@pacific.net.au:
Hey Ed,

Maaaaaaaaaaaate,  can we stop the non-sense about doing theoretical calculations,  based on false prremises,  which lead to eroneous conclusions??

Anyway,  I'm off on 4 weeks recreation,  but when I come back,
our "new"  RX7 Series III "Mule" is going to be fitted with an EWP,
and it is going to cop the mother of all beatings on a chassis dyno.

Leon Promet
leon@promotorsport.com.au