From: Ed Anderson <eanderson@carolina.rr.com>
Sender: Marvin Kaye <marv@lancaironline.net>
Subject: Re: [FlyRotary] EWP adapter pics
Date: Thu, 17 Oct 2002 19:06:27 -0400
To: <flyrotary>

----- Original Message -----
From: "Haywire" <haywire@telus.net>
To: "Rotary motors in aircraft" <flyrotary@lancaironline.net>
Sent: Thursday, October 17, 2002 8:45 AM
Subject: [FlyRotary] EWP adapter pics

> Hey Guys;
> One of the main benefits of this EWP is the weight savings by removing the
> mechanical pump. However, unfortunately the kit doesn't provide any sort
of
> adapter, instead recommending either removal of the impeller or just the
> belts. The procedure for installing the RDT that senses temp for the
> controller is also a little Mickey mouse IMO. However I can't fault Davis
> Craig for this as I realize that this kit is designed for a quick install
> into a multitude of vehicle designs with various engines, so their kit is
> good for a reliable generic install.
> However since I'm in a position to do better, I've attempted to do just
> that. Some of you may remember my earlier attempts at an engine mount
> combined with a pump adapter. It worked well, but wasn't as light as I
> wanted, lacked provision for temp sensors and still required extra
fittings
> to fit the hose and "T" in my turbo coolant return line.
> I found in a salvage yard a piece of 1.5" x 3.1" x 30" solid aluminium for
> $10 cdn. So I spent an evening carving an adapter out of this. The
completed
> adapter with RDT fitting weighed in @ 508 grams. I welded the inlet &
outlet
> nipples directly to this block. The Turbo coolant return and the RDT
> fittings are SS instrument tube fittings, threaded into the block.
> The EWP controller needs a temp reading from the outlet of the block so in
> a sense, this is the thermostat. I also installed an additional fitting in
> the outlet and 1 in the inlet for temp display on an engine monitor in the
> future.
> This adapter isn't necessary but certainly makes for a better
installation.

> S. Todd Bartrim
> Turbo 13B rotary powered
> RV-9endurance (FWF)
> C-FSTB

Good looking adapter, Todd

  I do have a question.  If you recall -the stock Mazda water pump has a
5/8" dia hole for recirulating water through the engine while the thermostat
is still closed.  Once the coolant heats up, the thermostat opens and also
"plugs" this 5/8" hole.  Racing Beat (amongst others) state that if you do
not use a thermostat and fail to plug this hole you can loss 20% of your
cooling effectivness.  So the question is do you plug this hole or not?

Ed Anderson