From: <Lehanover@aol.com>
Subject: Re: [FlyRotary] Single rotor exhaust header design??
Date: Thu, 1 Sep 2005 21:47:56 EDT
To: <flyrotary@lancaironline.net>
In a message dated 9/1/2005 6:11:40 PM Eastern Daylight Time, mike.wynn@spectra-physics.com writes:

How do traditional `bunch of bananas' headers compare with VAM/tangential in terms of engine performance?

Lynn, Leon ???

Cosworth figured out a long time ago that two ports from the sam cylinder are treated as a single pipe and ar joined at the port face. So in the case of the two exhaust rotary, I suspect that as soon as possible after the port face, joint the two runners, keeping them exactly the same length. Making two runners of different lengths from the same chamber would be hopefull at best.

The vam muffler mounted tight against the engine precludes any scavenging effect at all, and adds back pressure to a very short runner. I'm guessing a flow disaster with big power loss.

Leon will shortly have the exact answer for the first part.

Lynn E. Hanover