From: Jim Sower <canarder@starband.net>
Sender: Marvin Kaye <marv@lancaironline.net>
Subject: Re: [FlyRotary] Re: EWP water pump
Date: Tue, 15 Oct 2002 23:59:32 -0400
To: <flyrotary>
<... stock pump with the EWP in a given system ...>
I'm not trying to compare a particular EWP with stock under any particular
conditions.  I'm interested in determining the *requirements* of the engine
under as many conditions as possible.  I figure that it will involve a
thermostat and a coolant flow measuring device.  Absent a thermostat, we don't
know how much more coolant we're pumping than is necessary.  With a thermostat
maintaining temperature, we are much more assured that the flow observed is
exactly what is needed for proper heat rejection under those circumstances.

I don't believe that pressure drop helps much, if for no other reason than that
a small (read difficult to measure accurately) error in pressure drop would mask
a large flow difference.  If we measure flow directly and accurately at the
temperature we want to maintain on the engine, we can search for an EWP that
meets those requirements and our questions are pretty much answered.  I believe
that a thermostat and a flow meter are pivotal and would personally be reluctant
to proceed without them.

Just a theory .... Jim S.