From: Jim Sower <canarder@starband.net>
Sender: Marvin Kaye <marv@lancaironline.net>
Subject: Re: [FlyRotary] Re: EWP water pump
Date: Sat, 12 Oct 2002 21:54:22 -0400
To: <flyrotary>
<... as any variability in the water head pressure to the pump will skew the test
results ...>
Do you really think so?  I mean significantly?  I would intuit that your task is to
pump some certain minimum volume of water through the system.  Say you had a 5- or 10-
gal supply tank, and kept the water level in the tank at about the elevation of the
input to the pump, and piped the output from the rads (right where it goes into the
pump) up over the edge of the water tank.  You could then turn on the pump and WATCH
how much volume was pumped through the entire system.  You're not simulating pressure
drop across the engine and radiators.  You're observing the flow that you get in spite
of all that resistance.  In a closed system, it doesn't make any difference what the
system pressure is.  In this test, you're using virtually no pressure at the inlet
side, and just a few inches at output.  You could document it with a flow meter, but
you'd get a pretty good go/no-go idea just watching it.
Just a theory .... Jim S.