From: Marvin Kaye <marv@lancaironline.net>
Subject: Re: [FlyRotary] Re: EWP water pump
Date: Sat, 12 Oct 2002 08:30:33 -0400
To: <flyrotary>
Posted for "Haywire" <haywire@telus.net>:

Hi Bill;
This is an excellent suggestion. Unfortunately I've already completed the
installation. If I have time before I run the engine I will remove it and
subject it to these tests.
I was thinking of removing the hose from one rad and putting it in water,
then measure flow out of the other rad, but this would have to be carefully
supplied water as any variability in the water head pressure to the pump
will skew the test results. Water would have to pump from a container at
approx the same height as the engine & have an assistant keep container full
to a constant height with a hose.
I think the only meaningful test results would be from a flow meter
installed in a closed system. I'll see if I can get a suitable rotometer
from work, although this type of flow meter creates a restriction that again
will affect the results. It would be alot of work but I may be able to hook
up a mag tube flow meter for a test. This would give accurate results.
I will eventually build a "trendlink" program which would record all flight
& engine data, then data can be shown as a trend and it's relationship to
other factors is very clear. This may be the best tool for analysing the
performance of this pump in various flight (load) conditions.

S. Todd Bartrim
Turbo 13B rotary powered
RV-9endurance (FWF)
C-FSTB
http://www3.telus.net/haywire/RV-9/C-FSTB.htm

If you can set up a flow system, where the pump removes water from a 55
gallon barrel, has a pressure gauge on the output side, a
throttable valve,
and a means of measuring the flow volume (either a flow meter or
a bucket and
stop watch), you can get some very valuable data.