From: Herb Sanders <hsanders@bellsouth.net>
Subject: RE: [FlyRotary] Re: Sump tank - Velocity version
Date: Fri, 27 May 2005 17:57:11 -0500
To: 'Rotary motors in aircraft' <flyrotary@lancaironline.net>
Perry and all, I posted several times in Feb when Paul had his first vapor
lock that the problem was the Facet pump in my opinion.  A Facet pump has a
plunger, cavity, and two check valves and is designed to flow only in one
direction. When the plunger draws back and fills the cavity, the downstream
check valve closes to keep from pulling fuel from downstream and the
upstream valve opens to allow the cavity to fill from the source side. When
the plunger pushes the fuel out, the downstream valve opens and the upstream
valve closes so fuel will flow in the correct direction.

The problem is that Paul normally did not run the pump and relied on gravity
flow, but when the hot fuel pushed bubbles backward in the line, the ck
valve closed and blocked all flow. He did install a vent line, but it was
only 3/16" od (1/8" ID) and must not have been adequate in all circumstances
to vent all the pressure. If the pump had been running, it may have overcome
the vapor and pushed in cool fuel, but I have no idea if the pump was on or
even still configured in the system as before. I would also like to know if
he ever changed to a larger vent line.

If anyone who has seen the wreckage can tell us how the system was
configured when it last failed, that might help us know what not to do.
Herb