From: Leon <peon@pacific.net.au>
Subject: Why I use pre-mix in race cars was Re: [FlyRotary] Re: Re : oil injection pump
Date: Fri, 29 Apr 2005 22:32:50 +1000
To: Rotary motors in aircraft <flyrotary@lancaironline.net>
Hi Ian,

The reason is VERY simple.  The amount of oil injected is sort of proportional to the mean speed of the engine.  As the race engines spend most of their time between 7,500 & 9,500 RPM,  there is a propensity for the metering pump to empty the sump rather rapidly,  which can cause oil surge in a long race.  Not a condition I wish to contemplate.

So I use premix,  but NOT a lot,  and NOT a synthetic 2 stroke oil either.  We run around 250 -275:1 I just hate it when the oil fouls the racing plugs on a cold day.  Additionally,  we are using FMR (Factory Mazda Race) 3 mm carbon alloy apex seals,  which have a certain amount of self lubricity themselves,  so I can get away with less oil.  As long as there is enough oil to transfer the heat from the seals themselves to the rotor,  then that is sufficient.  As with many things, like sealants,  food,  booze etc, more than enough is often TOO much (air filters aside(}:>).

Cheers,

Leon