From: George Lendich <lendich@optusnet.com.au>
Subject: Re: [FlyRotary] The Final? story on the engine problem
Date: Wed, 13 Apr 2005 16:50:35 +1000
To: Rotary motors in aircraft <flyrotary@lancaironline.net>
Kelly,
Get some RX8 rotors !!
George ( down under)
Ed,
     Sure looks familar.......I spent the day taking a 89-91 core engine apart
to recover one good 9.7 to 1 rotor......Other rotor suffered apex seal failure
(stock 3 piece seals).......Rotor looks alot like yours.......Rotor hsgs are shot
.......End hsgs serviceable but should probably be lapped.......It has taken
two core engines to get two good 9.7 rotors.......Such is life !!
--
Kelly Troyer
Dyke Delta/13B/RD1C/EC2

-------------- Original message from "Ed Anderson" <eanderson@carolina.rr.com>: --------------

Second set of photos

Photo Apex Scrapes shows that the ejected apex seal piece probably  made it around the chamber a couple of times, one impression looks to be smaller than the width of the ejected piece - so perhaps it broke up further in its round.

Photo Apex Slot Peened shows that the 2nd apex seal of #1 rotor that would not move up and down - clear why, now.  The departing piece peened over the slot and froze the seal in its slot.  I had to pry the opposite end of the seal up to the position you see.

Ed Anderson
Rv-6A N494BW Rotary Powered
Matthews, NC
eanderson@carolina.rr.com