From: George Lendich <lendich@optusnet.com.au>
Subject: Re: [FlyRotary] Rotary AirFlow Equation? Help?
Date: Fri, 11 Feb 2005 08:17:17 +1000
To: Rotary motors in aircraft <flyrotary@lancaironline.net>
Ed,
I love this stuff!
I think when you made this point on another discussion group it was too early in rotary engine knowledge to understand it - thanks for taking the time and trouble!
George (down under)
In a previous posting, I alluded to my suspicions that a commonly accepted formula for calculating airflow for the rotary engine might be flawed. I was asked off-line to expound on that suspicion.

 Well, I can think of no better audience to present my suspicions to and see what you think.  Last time I tried this on another list I was berated, beat upon and chastised for daring to raise the question - but, never one to be daunted for long and knowing this list has some experienced and clear thinkers, here goes again.

1.   The racing crowd was thrown into a turmoil when the rotary appeared on the scene - what displacement class should it be place in??

Well eventually the following was apparently (If not agreed to was at least accepted) that the 1300 cc 13B rotary was equivalent to a 160 CID 4 stroke engine.  Then the standard air flow formula could be applied - which is

Air Flow (CFM) = Displacement*rpm/(2 *1728)*Ve  (Volumetric efficiency (Ve) is generally assume to be 100% or 1, so we can drop it for this discussion as well as the effects of compression ratios)

How did they arrive at 160 CID displacement, well they apparently decided to reference the rotary  to the standard 720 Deg 4 stroke rotation cycle even though for all six faces of the two rotors to go through their cycle requires 1080 deg of e shaft rotation - well that is 360 deg more than the standard of 720Deg.  So if you limit consideration to only 720deg of rotation only 4 of the six rotor faces have occurred, so since the displacement by a single face is 40 CID then 4* 40 = 160 CID.  So that appears to be how the decision of 160 CID equivalent displacement was arrived at. No problem with that part - but, continuing on:

So taking the formula and assuming 6000 rpm, we have Air Flow = 160*6000/(2*1728) = 277.77 CFM (assuming 100% Ve).

2.  So what's the problem?  Well, unfortunately, I like to fully understand how and why something works rather than just plugging in numbers to a formula (although, heaven knows I do enough of that).

 So here is how I started sliding down the slipper slope {:>).

We know that the rotors turn at a speed 3 times less than the E shaft.  So if the e shaft is turning at 6000 rpm then the rotors are turning at 6000/3 = 2000 rpm.  Its the rotor of course that actually suck in the air - not the eccentric shaft.  So we should be able to arrive at the same answer from either reference point (rotor or e shaft).  Well the formula above uses the e shaft reference.  So I looked at what the rotor reference would produce (expecting the same answer).

If the rotors are spinning at 2000 rpm, we know that 2 of the rotor faces have gone through their cycle for each 360 deg revolution of the e shaft or 4 will have for 720 deg.  Looking at it from the rotor reference if the e shaft has turned 720 deg then the rotor has turned 720/3 = 240 degrees.  240/360 = 0.6666 * 6 faces = 4 faces.  So that confirms that 4 faces go through their cycle in 720 degs of e shaft rotation.  So if 4 faces of the two rotors complete their cycle in 720Deg eshaft then we have

Air Flow = 4(number of faces) *40 (displacement for each face) * rpm (rotor rpm)/(1728)    note: we drop the division by 2 which in the original 4 stroke reciprocating engine equation takes into account that only 1/2 of the cylinders are sucking air on each revolution.

3.  This Logic  gives us rotary  Air Flow = 4*40*2000/(1728) = 185 CFM!  This is ,of course, NOT the 277 CFM arrived at by the approved formula.

As you can see the implications of this (if correct) are fairly significant and that is why even though I can't spot the error, I must have made one.

I would greatly appreciate any assistance in helping me understand where I have gone wrong in logic or math.  Please don't just quote an authority or formula - explain it and show me your calculations on how you got there.  Its things like this that keep me awake at night {:>).

Help Meee..!

Thanks

Ed

Ed Anderson