From: Haywire <haywire@telus.net>
Sender: Marvin Kaye <marv@lancaironline.net>
Subject: RE: [FlyRotary] Re: Windows viewable sketches (was Todd's Coolant Header Tank...)
Date: Mon, 05 May 2003 08:46:23 -0400
To: <flyrotary>

Hi David;

Todd, I looked at your pictures and the color sketch of your coolant system,
a .jpg file.

Did you do the sketch free hand and scan it?  Or, did you use some software
product to draw/sketch it?

I've bought a new computer since then and I can't seem to find that image. I must not have transferred that in my files. IIRC, that was just a simple, quick freehand drawing that I scanned & saved as a jpg.

      -  So, I'm looking for a drawing tool other than Intellicad/Autocad that
can be viewed by anyone with Windows (and the typical viewers bundled with
it).

One of the simplest drawing tools that everybody has is "Paint". Relatively easy to use. It saves all drawings as BMP. images by default, but you can chose which format to use. BMP files are relatively large, but JPG is not and is also viewable by all viewers. Even most versions of AutoCAD will give you other choices of file formats to save as. When saving an image, click on "File" in the upper left corner, then on the drop down menu, click on "Save As...", then on the window that opens at the bottom will be "Save As Type:", click on this drop down menu and you will see all available file formats.

When I want a quick file that isn't going to be kept for future reference, it is still hard to beat a pen & paper, then quickly scan it in as a small jpg.  If I'm drawing something more important, I try to use AutoCAD, though I still occasionally use Paint.

If creating files to send onto lists such as this, jpg. is IMO the best format as it is common to every system and small file sizes, which is important to dial-up access users like me. It's rather annoying to download a 1.5meg message only to find it contains a very high quality image of something that doesn't pertain to me.

Hope this helps.

S. Todd Bartrim
Turbo 13B RV-9Endurance;
C-FSTB