From: Ed Anderson <eanderson@carolina.rr.com>
Sender: Marvin Kaye <marv@lancaironline.net>
Subject: Re: [FlyRotary] Re: Turbocharger Hiflows 12A 13B Series IV & V
Date: Thu, 03 Oct 2002 19:28:54 -0400
To: <flyrotary>
Mike brought up a very good point about using turbochargers at altitude that
were selected/ designed for sea level conditions.  One of the major
considerations is how the new operating conditions  are relative to the
surge limit shown on compressor maps.(left hand side of the pressure/flow
curves)

Attached is an example of a compressor map.  As you can see by the red lines
I drew on the map, if you decrease boost and/or increase flow, you move away
from the surge limit.  That is why I believe that the Aussie modification to
a stock HT18 RX-7 turbo (i.e. increasing its flow rate) improves its ability
to operate at high altitudes.  Assuming you keep the boost modest (around 7
psi), the increased flow claimed should move you further from the
compressors surge limit area.  So this should make it better than a plain
stock HT18 turbo for aircraft use.  However, once again I agree with Mike,
if you don't understand the impacts of the different operation environment
(high altitude) on your turbo or have the maps to determine the likely
effect,  then seek guidance from turbo experts - but make certain that they
experts that do undestand high alittude operation , because not all
"experts" do..

Ed anderson