From: kevin lane <n3773@attbi.com>
Sender: Marvin Kaye <marv@lancaironline.net>
Subject: Re: [FlyRotary] Re: radiant cooling
Date: Wed, 09 Apr 2003 17:13:40 -0400
To: <flyrotary>
    I didn't intend to cool the engine with radiant plumbing, just thought that it would be a bonus.  if I plumb it thru the interior I would have to actually have to insulate the tubing I would guess.
    I checked out a Yamaha snowmobile.  nothing particularly high tech, just extruded aluminum channel.  I think using flexible tubing however will make the routing easier and lighter, rather than the miter cuts and welding needed for the rigid channel.  I'll check out the boats, they may be more aero.
    I would still like for someone to help me compute the heat loss.  let's say water at 220 degrees. air temp, worst case, 100 degrees, climb out air speed 80mph, surface area for 8 3/8 tubes, 7' run = 791 sq" (ignoring fuselage skin contact contribution, if any).  there are coefficients for AL heat transfer that I don't know.  oh, and coolant flow rate?  I just have no feel right now if we are talking the equivalent radiator cooling of .1 sq" or 100.  using simply equivalent surface area of a radiator 1" thick, 15 fins per inch, it requires 52 sq inches of radiator to have 791 sq".  gee, if I covered the plane with tubing I could eliminate the radiator all together :-)  that would be about as draggy as electrical tape wrapped, well, more like stretched, around the cowl! (sorry Tracy, I'll bet that stuff was humming along with the engine :-)
    i haven't tried to talk with ken welter yet.    kevin