From: Haywire <haywire@telus.net>
Sender: Marvin Kaye <marv@lancaironline.net>
Subject: RE: [FlyRotary] radiant cooling
Date: Wed, 09 Apr 2003 07:56:02 -0400
To: <flyrotary>
I intend to put a belly scoop on my rv-8.  after checking out some snowmobiles I have been playing with the idea of mimicking their radiant cooling.  I was thinking about plumbing the belly scoop by running say 6-8 parallel 3/8" tubes along the belly the 7' back to the scoop

Hi Kevin;
    I forgot that I'd promised to send some dimensions of snowmobile coolers. I just measured mine and it is 41.5"x9"x5/8". I wouldn't consider using anything like this as a sole means of cooling, but if you are mounting a belly scoop for a rad further back than I can imagine that 1 or 2 of these riveted to your belly would provide an efficient means to plumb the coolant down and back again. This cooler in my current sled is one piece with flow down and back, with both both inlet and outlet at one end only, but it would be quick aluminum weld job to modify. My previous sled had two separate coolers running parallel with a short hose coupling them under the end of the seat, to provide a flow down one and back up the other. These hose connections were out the top, so would be located through the skin and inside the belly of your plane to provide a neat, tidy installation with no visible plumbing. These coolers are very robust, so I wouldn't have any concerns about them withstanding anything we can throw at them. If you really want to go this route, I could try to find a set for you.
    I recall that some boats that have a fresh water cooling system use a very similar heat exchanger that is mounted to the bottom of the boat. In your area, these should be far more common.
    Did you talk to Ken Welter about these snowmobile coolers?

S. Todd Bartrim
Turbo 13B rotary powered
RV-9endurance (FWF)
C-FSTB
http://www3.telus.net/haywire/RV-9/C-FSTB.htm

         "Whatever you vividly imagine, Ardently desire, Sincerely believe in, Enthusiastically act upon, Must inevitably come to pass".