From: kevin lane <n3773@attbi.com>
Sender: Marvin Kaye <marv@lancaironline.net>
Subject: radiant cooling
Date: Tue, 08 Apr 2003 18:47:53 -0400
To: <flyrotary>
I intend to put a belly scoop on my rv-8.  after checking out some snowmobiles I have been playing with the idea of mimicking their radiant cooling.  I was thinking about plumbing the belly scoop by running say 6-8 parallel 3/8" tubes along the belly the 7' back to the scoop and then another set for the return.  obviously there would be some drag from this configuration, but it enables me to make the scoop smaller.  how much is a good question.  I don't know the math to figure this out, yet.  for looks I'd like to keep the belly radiator down to 8" x 25" x 4", which seems to be minimal.(3 rotor, 300hp, turbo'd)
    since other planes don't do this, there may be a reason against this.  I would guess that wwII planes wouldn't consider it since it makes them very vulnerable to bullets.  perhaps the drag is too great, I don't know.  I remember seeing a plane with it's wing stiffeners on the exterior, which seems crazy to me, but obviously it can work.  many planes have corrugated elevators, which seems draggy.  the air on the belly must be pretty turbulent, at least against the skin.  van certainly doesn't worry about the rudder cables and horns being exposed.
    what is the consensus of the group about my wacky idea?  can someone take a stab at how much heat this might radiate?  another thought about the exposed plumbing was that it would be MUCH easier to work on versus running it under the floorboards and thru the spar and gear leg towers.  I also recognize that this plane will be a platform for many future changes and ideas, so I prefer not to make anything too permanent at first.  C&R is quoting me $700 for a custom radiator, so I'd prefer to buy just one!   kevin   Portland or