From: Marvin Kaye <marv@lancaironline.net>
Subject: Re: [FlyRotary] Re: water pumps
Date: Mon, 30 Sep 2002 22:30:41 -0400
To: <flyrotary>

Posted for Ernest Christley <echristley@nc.rr.com>:
Mike Wills wrote:

I've read Hot Rod for 30 years and have always enjoyed it. But if I applied all of the tricks like this that I've read about over the years, I'd be able to build a 1000HP small block Chevy using only bolt on parts (sold by Hot Rod advertisers) for less than $2000. :-)

Yeah, those numbers are ridiculous.  For instance, we all know that a supercharger for an airplane should cost $20K.

Did anyone else choke on that supercharing article in the last  Sport Aviation.  For those who haven't seen it, it's basically a 4 page advertisement for some ex-computer CEO's who developed a supercharger installation for large Lycomings.  Units ran up to $20,000.

Let's see?  Do I build another plane or add a supercharger?  Decisions, decisions?

Don't mean to change the subject, I'm just still choking over the article and the one that followed that says you have to spend $1200 on a HVLP system to get a decent paint job.

[A similar article appeared in the last issue of Kitplanes as well.  Rick Schrameck is one of the regulars on the Lancair Mail List, built that Legacy in about 4 months, before the factory had all the parts available.  The articles all went to press before Reno... Rick now holds the world speed records for 2 different classes... reprinted from a recent post to the LML: "With the power down aprox. 150 HP from maximum I was able to break the C1C and C1B records.  My official speed was 345.03 MPH and the old records were 318 MPH and 323 MPH."  Lord knows how fast he'd have gone if they hadn't fixed him (and 1/2 a dozen T-6's) up with contaminated fuel the second day of the races.        <Marv>                  ]