From: Al Gietzen <ALVentures@cox.net>
Subject: RE: [FlyRotary] Re: Fittings for Tracys Fuel Pumps Was Re: Fuel Filter Part Number
Date: Tue, 3 Aug 2004 10:00:40 -0700
To: 'Rotary motors in aircraft' <flyrotary@lancaironline.net>

Dean;

Not questioning that your pumps have 5/16 – 24 threads, just mentioning that Tracy also provided pumps with 10-1 metric threaded barb fittings.  We know he has sold different pumps, and I’m sure manufacturers provide both metric and British measures.

The 10 – 1 metric to AN-6 adapter is a standard carburetor fitting.  I think Earl’s has them, and perhaps also Baker precision.

Al

Al, Mark, and Scott

The pumps that I received from Tracy had a fixed 5/16 hose barb on the inlet and a 5/16-24 threaded brass hose barb for the outlet.  A 5/16-24 bolt was a perfect fit in the outlet.  A 10MMx1.0 bolt would not even start to engage the threads in the pump because the max thread dia was too large and the matching metric nut was sloppy on the brass hose barb. The US thread pitch was 24/inch and the metric 1.0 is 25.4/inch.  With the 991953 fitting only engaging approx 5/16 inch, and the metric thread being a larger diameter, I felt that I would have sufficient good thread engagement for a sound joint.  Perhaps I overlooked it in the Pegasus catalog, but I was unable to find an AN6 to 10-1 metric fitting there. I have purchased other AN fittings there as well as ready made cross-over brake hoses with metallic braid for my dual brake installation to replace Van's plastic lines.  I think that my experience just shows, once again, the variation in pumps supplied by the National Aviation Parts Association (:>)}.  I am installing Earl's HP 35 micron bronze fuel filters (obtained from Wicks) down stream of the pumps and coupling them with AN6 to AN6 Female Swivel Couplings from Pegasus.

Dean